From Tolkien Gateway
- Main article: Two Lamps
Ormal was one of the Two Lamps of the Valar, made by Aulë, filled by Varda and hallowed by Manwë in the south of the world while the Valar still dwelt on Almaren. It was destroyed by Melkor at least five ages before the beginning of the First Age. The destruction created the Sea of Ringil, south of the Sea of Helcar.[note 1]
The name apparently means "Lofty gold" or "High-gold". Obviously it is composed of the Elvish roots OR and MAL.
- ↑ This Sea is not mentioned in the published Silmarillion.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: The History of the Silmarils"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Shaping of Middle-earth, "V. The Ambarkanta: Map IV"
- ↑ Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth
- ↑ Helge Fauskanger, "Quettaparma Quenyallo", Ardalambion (accessed 22 March 2023)