Talk:Battles of Beleriand
From Tolkien Gateway
Latest comment: 30 December 2020 by Mith in topic Name?
I added an infobox for consistency with other conflicts, and a recently uploaded pic as well. The series of Wars should link together in a rational manner.--Theoden1 17:31, 5 July 2008 (EDT)
Valarin participation[edit source]
Did Orome and Tulkas actually participate as commanders in the Battles of Beleriand? I am under the impression that no being greater in status and power than Eonwe fought in the War of Wrath.
I can't seem to find the term "Battles of Beleriand" anywhere in the canon but "Wars of Beleriand" and "War of the Jewels" seem to be very frequently used. I suggest this should be renamed to "Wars of Beleriand". Thoughts?--Tengwar 03:16, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- "Battles of Beleriand" is used in the Silmarillion's Index, but "Wars of Beleriand" is used in the narrative. I think you are right, but let me check HoMe. --LorenzoCB 08:53, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- Okay yeah you are correct. Considering this page is a page for a war, I think the page should be renamed to "War of the Jewels" or "Wars of Beleriand" and a section is written as "Battles of Beleriand" for the 5 major battles (as titled in the index) and a seperate section for "Minor Battles" in chronological order.--Tengwar 15:14, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- I don't think the current state of the list of Major and minor battles in the War of the Jewels, that is, a half-bulleted, half-numbered list, is particularly effective at conveying information. Perhaps we ought to have a "Timeline" section that includes both Major Battles and minor battles, and then a separate text section for the Major Battles? --Mord 06:24, 27 November 2020 (UTC)
- I agree. -- Ancalagon the Black 23:52, 30 November 2020 (UTC)
- I disagree. Both major and minor battles are events of the same war against Morgoth. Here the main 6 are clearly marked, and creating another article would be more confusing. This one actually has little info, and that's the point: to serve as a disambiguation. We already have a Timeline/First Age, but Mord, you gave a very good idea: what about a timeline that lists all the articles about wars throughout the ages? --LorenzoCB 00:52, 1 December 2020 (UTC)