The Tolkien Relation
From Tolkien Gateway
|The Tolkien Relation|
|Publisher||Regnery Co., Copp Clark, Warner Books|
|Format||Hardcover, also paperback|
The Tolkien Relation: A Personal Inquiry is a book by William Ready, the former Director of Libraries at Marquette University. The paperback edition of 1969 was renamed into Understanding Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings.
The book includes extracts from letters to William Ready from both J.R.R. Tolkien and his son Christopher, as well as some unattributed quotes. See especially pp. 55-56 and 57-60 (1st edition).
- The Early Cycle
- The Inklings and the Myth
- The Days of the Dons
- The Hobbits of Tolkien
- The Tale of the Ring
- Craft and Art
- Man for Tolkien
- The Once and the Future
- As It Was and Will Be
- Page 18: "...at the University of Leeds as Reader in the English language in 1921." The correct year is 1920.
- Page 22: "He gave the W.P. Ker lecture at Glasgow University in 1933..." The correct date is April 15, 1953.
- ↑ Åke Bertenstam, "A Chronological Bibliography of Books About Tolkien" at Forodrim
- ↑ An Illustrated Tolkien Bibliography, at Tolkienbooks.net
- ↑ Humphrey Carpenter, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography, "Oxford Interlude"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 135, note 2