Tolkien Gateway:Image policy
- See also: Help:Images on how to upload and use images
The image policy of Tolkien Gateway provides guidelines on what images should and shouldn't be uploaded to this wiki as well as guidance which should be followed when doing so.
As the world's largest Tolkien encyclopedia, Tolkien Gateway aims to have a comprehensive catalogue of visual representations of Tolkien's works as well as other relevant images of from Tolkien fandom and scholarship. We include photographs of notable individuals as well as images of publications and adaptations. These images are to be used to illustrate our articles as well as educating the reading about the representation of Tolkien's works.
Tolkien Gateway has a number of naming conventions that must be followed:
- For artistic works - including photos - the format is always Copyright holder - Title of image. Examples include: File:Ted Nasmith - Eärendil Searches Tirion.jpg, File:NOLANOS - Helcaraxe.jpg and File:Tim Kirk - Gandalf and Bilbo.jpg. If the image is untitled an appropriate description can be used instead.
- For images from adaptations - films, video games, TV shows, card games etc - the format is always Name of adaptation - Description of image. The name of the adaptation is the same as both the title used for the Tolkien Gateway article. Examples include: File:The Hobbit (1977 film) - Bifur.png, File:The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Balin's Tomb2.jpg, File:Born of Hope - Arathorn.jpg.
- For photographs of real people simply use Name of person. Examples include: File:Peter Jackson.jpg, File:Pauline Baynes.jpg and File:Elijah Wood.jpg.
If there are two images which qualify for the same title use some other description of appropriate distinguisher taking into account the conventions above (usually a number). Examples include: File:J.R.R. Tolkien - 1911.jpg, File:Jef Murray - Gandalf (Sketch 2).jpg and File:The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring - Elrond2.jpg.
Ampersands (&) must not be used in file names, however diacritics are allowed, for example File:Janka Latečková - King Aragorn.jpg.
Note: All images are uploaded to the File namespace and, therefore, all have the prefix "File:".
Images of sizes up to 20MB can be uploaded to Tolkien Gateway. We favour the very highest quality images and strongly discourage users from resizing images themselves (as this can limit their future usefulness).
Similarly, all images should be cropped to remove unnecessary backgrounds. This includes removing letterboxing on film images.
Tolkien Gateway has a number of supported file formats:
- Images - .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .svg. Note that we no longer support .gif.
- Audio - .mp3, .ogg, .wav.
Deletion of images
- See also: Tolkien Gateway:Deletion policy
Images will deleted by an administrator without discussion under the following circumstances:
- Irrelevance - not Tolkien-related or related to the functioning of this wiki.
- Duplication - if there are two images exactly the same (or similar without sufficient justification and usage).
- Supersession - if another image is uploaded which makes an existing image redundant (such as one of a higher quality or an updated version).
- Slash and nudity - removed if overly gratuitous or seen as unnecessary. Appropriate nudity is permitted (for example File:Ted Nasmith - Saeros' Fatal Leap 2.jpg).
- Copyright violation - an image without permission, and even without an appropriate copyright template, will be deleted.
- Author request - where an author/uploader revokes previously-granted permission.
- Not fair use - if an image uploaded with a fair use rationale is judged by an administrator to fall outside the bounds of fair use, it will be deleted.