Hi there, I’m GondolinFan, a Tolkien enthusiast who somehow stumbled upon Tolkien Gateway (TG) around 2009. Since then, I’ve used this site on-and-off as my main go-to for anything related to the works of Tolkien. Towards the end of 2021, I very tentatively decided to create an account and edit an article (putting aside fears of somehow doing something silly or “messing things up”) which I thought could be improved.
I was introduced to “the world of Tolkien” through The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, which quickly became my favourite set of films. After watching these, I decided to read the books, but very quickly realised I was too young to read them properly! I succeeded a few years later (yay), and followed up with The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.
I'm continuing to explore the legendarium at my own pace and currently plan on contributing to TG as a writer/editor on articles related to things I’ve recently read or feel I’m knowledgeable about. In the last few years, I've come to recognise the importance of citing reputable sources, and think this is especially critical on an "encyclopedia that anyone can edit"! My overarching aim here is to work with others in creating high-quality user-centred material. Please let me know if I do something wrong/silly or if there are any concerns about anything I've contributed to TG. I very much want to make this site a better place for all things Tolkien!
A final (light-hearted!) note: to all those makers of Tolkien-related memes, thank you!
My goals here
- Ensure all Silmarillion chapter synopses are of a high quality
- Clean up major Silmarillion-related pages that need it
Lots! Tolkien has such a beautiful way of writing, and I think the film trilogy to a large part does him justice! Below are a few of my favourites, (which may end up being from adaptations too, and I’ll try to point this out if/when it happens). I'll probably add to this with time.
- "A generous deed should not be checked with cold counsel" - Faramir to Pippin
- "Then Beren and Lúthien went through the Gate, and down the labyrinthine stairs; and together wrought the greatest deed that has been dared by Elves or Men." - The Silmarillion, "Of Beren and Lúthien"
- "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf to Frodo
- "‘Many are the strange chances of the world,’ said Mithrandir, ‘and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.’" - The Silmarillion, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age"
Books I've read
- The Hobbit (a few times)
- The Lord of the Rings (need to re-read!)
- The Silmarillion (a few times - my favourite)
- The Book of Lost Tales 1 (a while ago)
- Beren and Lúthien
Books I plan on reading soon
- The Children of Húrin
- The Fall of Gondolin
- The Lays of Beleriand
- The History of Middle-earth series (though this may be less "soon", and more of a long-term effort)
Books I've dipped into
What I've worked on/am working on
Listed here are articles I have contributed to (regular font) or am planning on contributing to (bold font) in a major way.
Jotting ideas down here so I don't forget.