The History of Middle-earth
The series shows the development over time of Tolkien's conception of Middle-earth as a fictional place with its own peoples, languages, and history, from his earliest notions of a "mythology for England" through to the development of the stories that make up The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings.
Volume 6-9 has been published independently as a boxed set, by HarperCollins in 1998 and 2002, as The History of The Lord of the Rings. In this set, Sauron Defeated retained only content related to The Lord of the Rings, and was published under the title The End of the Third Age.
Volumes and contents
- The Book of Lost Tales: Part One (1983)
- The Book of Lost Tales: Part Two (1984)
- The Lays of Beleriand (1985)
- The Shaping of Middle-earth (1986)
- The Lost Road and Other Writings (1987)
- The Return of the Shadow (1988) — (The History of TLotR vol. 1)
- The Treason of Isengard (1989) — (The History of TLotR vol. 2)
- The War of the Ring (1990) — (The History of TLotR vol. 3)
- Sauron Defeated (1992) — (The History of TLotR vol. 4)
- Morgoth's Ring (1993) — (The Later Silmarillion vol. 1)
- The War of the Jewels (1994) — (The Later Silmarillion vol. 2)
- The Peoples of Middle-earth (1996)
- (Index) (2002)
The first two books introduce us to The Book of Lost Tales, the first conception of Tolkien's legendarium. The third volume deals with long poems concerning some of the main stories. The following two books follow developments from The Book of Lost Tales to the first so called Quenta Silmarillion. Volumes 6 through 9 discuss the development of The Lord of the Rings, while the second half of book 9 discusses the tale of Númenor. Books 10 and 11 discuss the later developments of The Silmarillion, which served as source material for the published edition. The final book entails the development of The Lord of the Rings Appendices, followed by some assorted essays J.R.R. Tolkien wrote in the last years of his life.
A thirteenth volume was published in 2002, The History of Middle-earth Index. This book has completely integrated all the indices from the set in one large index.
- The History of Middle-earth: Part One (includes volume 1 to 5)
- The History of Middle-earth: Part Two (includes volume 6 to 9)
- The History of Middle-earth: Part Three (includes volume 10 to 12)
- Deluxe India Paper Edition
- 2002 Edition
- 2017 Deluxe Edition
- What's in the History of Middle-earth?, by Ninni M. Petterssons
- The HoMe-texts in chronological order - list of the HoMe components in the order they were written by Tolkien (by Ninni M. Pettersson)
- The History of Middle-earth summaries