From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 4 August
- 1914 - George Allen & Unwin's offices are opened in London by Stanley Unwin.
- 1941 - Voice actor Martin Jarvis is born.
- 1953 – J.R.R. Tolkien is angry over the fact that an editor at Allen and Unwin has corrected dwarves to dwarfs, elvish to elfish, further to farther, and worst of all, elven to elfin.
- 1953 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 138.
- 1965 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 275.
- 1973 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 353.
- 1990 - Mythcon 21 at California State University in Long Beach.
- 1995 - Mythcon 26 in Berkeley, California.
- 2001 - Mythcon 32 in Berkeley, California.
- 2003 - The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All is published.
- 2005 - Omentielva Minya - 1st International Conference on Tolkien's Invented Languages in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2006 - Mythcon 37 at University of Oklahoma, Norman.
- 2007 - Author Timothy J. Wheeler dies.
- 2007 - Mythcon 38 in Berkeley, California.
- 2012 - Mythcon 43 at University of California, Berkeley.