From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 22 August
- 1944 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 79.
- 1955 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to John Roberts.
- 1963 - Linguist and translator Édouard Kloczko born.
- 1971 - Actor Richard Armitage born.
- 1980 - Voice actor Norman Shelley dies.
- 1985 - The Lays of Beleriand is published in the UK.
- 1992 - Tolkien Centenary Conference, a combination of Oxonmoot 1992 and Mythcon 23, at Keble College, Oxford.
- 2006 - The Oxford Tolkien Conference at Exeter College, Oxford.
- T.A. 3018:
- T.A. 3019:
- The escort arrives at Isengard; at sunset King Elessar grants Isengard to the Ents and receives the keyes of Orthanc.
- Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas say their good-byes to Gandalf and the four Hobbits.
- The Fellowship of the Ring is formally disbanded.
- Legolas and Gimli set out for their own lands through Fangorn Forest.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"