|"Amarie of the Vanyar" by Marya Filatova|
|Birth||During Y.T. |
|Gallery||Images of Amarië|
Finrod, son of Finarfin, was a Noldorin prince who met Amarië in Valinor. Although in love with one another, they did not marry, and Amarië did not follow Finrod into exile to Beleriand. According to The Grey Annals, this was because she was not permitted. Following Finrod's death at the hands of Sauron during the Quest for the Silmaril, he was brought back to life and lives with Amarië in Valinor.
Other versions of the legendarium
Originally Finrod had a wife named Meril who went into exile and bore the child Gil-galad who were both sent to dwell in the Havens of the Falas for their safety. This was later changed so Finrod had no child - with Gil-galad becoming the son of Orodreth, Finrod's nephew - and Amarië remaining in Aman.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Noldor in Beleriand"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "The Grey Annals": §109
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "The Grey Annals": §180
- Helge Fauskanger, "English-Quenya Wordlist (Quettaparma Quenyanna)", Ardalambion (accessed 29 November 2022)
- "Amarië", Encyclopedia of Arda (accessed 29 November 2022)
- Ruth S. Noel, The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth (revised edition), p. 108
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Two. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin (Chapter 15)", p. 242
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XI. The Shibboleth of Fëanor", p. 349