Battle of the Crossings of Poros
|This article describes a concept which is mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's works, but was never given a definite name.|
|Battle of the Crossings of Poros|
|Date: T.A. 2885|
|Place: South Ithilien, Gondor|
|Outcome: Gondorian victory|
Armies of Gondor and Rohan
Invasion of "great strength"
The battle of the Crossings of Poros was a conflict during the Third Age; when Túrin II of Gondor, aided by the Rohirrim of Rohan, drove back the Haradrim who were invading South Ithilien.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
Túrin II succeeded his father as the Ruling Steward of Gondor in the year T.A. 2882. During Túrin's rule, Sauron began to grow in power and stir up the enemies of Gondor. Orcs came into Ithilien and most of that land's inhabitants fled. The Haradrim entered South Gondor, and fighting took place along the Poros.
Battle[edit | edit source]
In T.A. 2885, stirred up by Sauron's emissaries, the Haradrim crossed the Poros and launched an attack on Gondor. Túrin defended Ithilien, and King Folcwine of Rohan aided him in his defence by sending many men to help Gondor, repaying Gondor for the aid Beregond had sent in years past, and fulfilling the Oath of Eorl. Folcwine wished to lead his men himself, but was dissuaded, and sent his twin sons Folcred and Fastred instead. Túrin and the sons of Folcwine successfully defeated the enemy at the crossing of the Poros. However, both of the twins were slain in the battle.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
While Túrin achieved victory at the crossing of Poros, the Rohirrim suffered the loss of their two princes. The Rohirrim buried the twins in a great mound, after their custom, and that mound, the Haudh in Gwanûr, guarded Gondor's southern boundaries for long years after. This left Fengel the heir to the throne of Rohan.
Portrayal in adaptations[edit | edit source]
2012: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- A tapestry depicting Folcred and Fastred's last stand is found in Meduseld and can be acquired for use in player houses.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", "The Stewards", p. 1054
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 2885
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", "The Kings of the Mark", Second Line, entry for king Folcwine
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", "The Kings of the Mark", Second Line, entry for king Fengel