Letter to W.A.R. Hadley
From Tolkien Gateway
On 14 December 1970, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote a letter to W.A.R. Hadley.
- Subject: Christmas letter with updates on the Tolkien family happenings of 1970.
- Publication: None.
Contents[edit | edit source]
The letter includes references to:
- The death of Hilary Tolkien's wife Magdalen on 5 April
- Her requiem and burial perfomed by Edith and Ronald's son John
- Hilary's son Gabriel, wife and children moving from Wesham to live with him
- Edith's March fall and resultant injuries
- Pending visits from son John and daughter Priscilla
- The "Canadian daughter-in-law" Baillie in Winnipeg
- Ronald's 1968 "accident" and their move to Poole
- Canada's "troubles" in 1970
- Ronald's desire to visit Canada and South Africa
- A happy summer visit from "Ding" — "an amazing person"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Pieter Collier, "#CLP0166 - J.R.R. Tolkien Airmail Family letter of 14 December 1970 and photograph", Tolkien Library (accessed 19 March 2012)