|Titles||Lord of Andúnië|
|Birth||Late Second Age |
|House||House of the Lords of Andúnië|
|Parentage||unknown, grandfather Earendur|
Númendil was the seventeenth Lord of Andúnië and the cousin of king Tar-Palantir. It can be assumed that Númendil was a member of the Royal Council and an important Lord of Númenor. Though the name of his father is not known, his grandfather was Eärendur, the fifteenth Lord of Andúnië.
Númendil was the father of Amandil, who succeeded him as Lord of Andúnië. Amandil would later become the father of Elendil, the founder of the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Númendil is a Quenya name. Its meaning is not glossed, but Paul Strack suggests it means "Friend of the West" and is a compound of númen ("west") and the suffix -(n)dil ("-friend", "-lover", "devotion", "disinterested love").
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
2798 - 3033
2876 - 3102
2960 - 3177
3035 - 3255
3044 - 3243
Sailed west 3316
3117 - 3319†
3118 - 3319†
3119 - 3441†
Other versions of the legendarium[edit | edit source]
Elentir, intended to be another son of Númendil, was a character developed but never fully adapted into the formal history of Númenor. In one version of the story of Ar-Pharazôn, his future wife Míriel, the daughter of the current king, was betrothed to Elentir. However, she fell desperately in love with Pharazôn and chose to become his queen when he took up the Sceptre of Númenor. This story is very different than the tale in the published The Silmarillion, where Ar-Pharazôn takes Míriel very much against her will in order to claim the Sceptre. In either case, Elentir disappeared before Númendil died, leaving Amandil as the Lord of Andúnië.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor", entry XXIV Tar-Palantir (Ar-Inziladûn)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "V. The History of the Akallabêth", Note on the marriage of Miriel and Pharazon, (b) and (c)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Akallabêth: The Downfall of Númenor"
- ↑ Paul Strack, "Q. Númendil m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 13 January 2022)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "V. The History of the Akallabêth"
House of the Lords of Andúnië
|17th Lord of Andúnië||Followed by:|