Second Age 2251
From Tolkien Gateway
Second Age 2251 (abbreviated to S.A. 2251) is the 2251st year of the Sun of the Second Age of Middle-earth.
Notable events in this year include:
- After thirty years of Tar-Ancalimon's reign, the rift between the King's Men and Faithful becomes wider.
- About this time the Nazgûl or Ringwraiths, slaves of the Nine Rings, first appear.
Other versions of the legendarium
In the Tale of Years, it said in 2251 "Tar-Atanamir takes the Sceptre", however, Atanamir died in S.A. 2221. The year 2221 is itself an emendation of 2251, and the former (2221) appears in the later tables, while the latter (2251) in the earlier tables: therefore 2251 (properly 2221) should have read "Death of Tar-Atanamir. Tar-Ancalimon takes the sceptre".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor", entry XIV Tar-Ancalimon, p. 221
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Second Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor", Note 10