At Bilbo's Farewell Party, while Bilbo Baggins was giving his speech, many thought that he had just finished and the children started playing with their toy instruments; Everard Took and Melilot Brandybuck got on a table and started performing the dance shaking bells on their hands.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Bombadil Goes Boating"
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Christina Scull & Wayne G. Hammond (eds), The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Commentary"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
- Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, p. 363
- Cf. Forum discussion: "...although where this information proceeds from is not given ('springle' does not seem to be a synonym for 'war-horse' in any online dictionary)."