|Genre||Black metal, Tolkien metal|
Summoning is an Austrian epic/atmospheric black metal band, formed in 1993. Their style has been described as "Tolkien metal", because the lyrics of most of their songs deal with Middle-earth. Their first three albums are named after strongholds of evil: "Lugburz" (1995), "Minas Morgul" (1996) and "Dol Guldur" (1996).
Discography[edit | edit source]
|Date of Release||Title||Label|
|1995||Minas Morgul||Napalm Records|
|1996||Dol Guldur||Napalm Records|
|2001||Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame||Napalm Records|
|2006||Oath Bound||Napalm Records|
|2013||Old Mornings Dawn||Napalm Records|
|2018||With Doom We Come||Napalm Records|
The band has also released the following demos/EPs:
- Nightshade Forests(1997)
- Lost Tales (2003)
- Dark Ages I
- Upon The Viking Stallion
- The Urilia Text
- Anno Mortiri Domini 1959
Members[edit | edit source]
- Protector (Richard Lederer)- Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards, Drum programming
- Silenius (Michael Gregor)- Vocals, Keyboards, Bass
Former Members[edit | edit source]
- Trifixion (Alexander Trondl)-Drums
- Pazuzu (Raymond Wells)-Vocals
Musical Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Summoning is known for their epic-style, Tolkien-related atmospheric black metal style, with emphasis on keyboards. Their trademark sound is characterized by:
- Very minimalistic guitars often low in the mix
- Programmed and heavily reverberated drums giving a very cavernous feel to the rhythm
- Multi-layered synthesizer and keyboard melodies mimicking orchestral instruments which often dominates the rest of the mix.
- Vocals performed in a traditional black metal fashion, however they are often heavily reverberated, giving a very epic and roomy sound to the songs.
- The band often makes use of audio samples, particularly from the The Lord of the Rings radio play.