Third Age 1856
From Tolkien Gateway
Third Age 1856 (abbreviated to T.A. 1856) is the 1856th year of the Sun of the Third Age of Middle-earth. Third Age 1856 was also known as S.R. 256 in Shire-reckoning.
Notable events in this year include:
- Wainrider/Balchoth War: Gondor loses its eastern territories following the Battle of the Plains.
- King Narmacil II of Gondor slain in the battle.
- Calimehtar, son of Narmacil II, becomes the thirtieth King of Gondor.
- Death of Marhari of the Northmen in rearguard action after the Battle of the Plains.
- Marhwini leads Northmen refugees out of Rhovanion to the Vales of Anduin where they become the Éothéod.
- Around that time, the Ringwraiths return to Mordor.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan", (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"