Third Age 1944
From Tolkien Gateway
Notable events in this year include:
- 9 July: News of the oncoming of the enemy reach Pelargir.
- Disaster of the Morannon
- King Ondoher falls in battle. His sons Artamir and Faramir are also killed.
- 13 July: Minohtar is overwhelmed by Wainriders and slain by an arrow.
- Eärnil defeats the enemy in South Ithilien. He then wins the Battle of the Camp, and drives Wainriders into the Dead Marshes.
- Pelendur briefly rules Gondor.
- Arvedui claims the crown of Gondor.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan", (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"