Tolkien Gateway talk:Meetings/3 October 2010
From Tolkien Gateway
Please put any ideas for the agenda and any general discussion here. Remember please sign your name below if you are going to attend (or not).
- -- 15:06, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:53, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Morgan 18:28, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Eldarion Telcontar 16:24, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 18:03, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Hyarion 16:16, 3 October 2010 (UTC)
Ideas for Agenda
- Update on server issues, extensions etc.
- New policy on Featured articles and Featured quotes
- Should we kill Featured Gatekeepers?
- Discuss the future of TG: should we move the database and images to a new server? Implications? New name? What does Hyarion (and other editors) think about this? --Morgan 21:28, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Fully support. -- 21:25, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Any update on the anti-spam measures and when we can get rid of the database lock? -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:04, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- Apologies for being unable to attend last night, some real-life event cropped up. About, FA, FG, and FQ:
- Featured Gatekeepers: I wanted to put this on hold until such a time as we a) have enough editors so we all don't just share the recognition between us and b) actually want to nominate someone. I see from the transcript that you reached the same conclusion.
- Featured Articles: I don't think we should just recycle articles and vote on them up to 12 months in advance. In 12 months an article could become hideously out-of-date, and recycling articles makes it seem as if we have very few articles worthy of the accolade: we should be encouraging editors to make their articles good enough to be featured. I think, therefore, we continue with the current system of nominations (although with more rigorous rules), to be changed monthly; however, I think, should an article not have the requisite votes, sysops should be allowed the change the homepage.
- Featured Quotes: I was thinking much the same lines as above, but also thinking they could be done weekly. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 12:35, 4 October 2010 (UTC)
- My apologies too - I was in Sweden without access to the ’net over that weekend. I knew the meeting was planned, but I had not seen any meeting page go up, so I hadn’t got round to registering my absence before leaving for Sweden.
I have read the transcript and agree with what was decided, but agree with what Mith said above about Featured Articles. Hope I can make next meeting. — Mithrennaith 14:37, 9 October 2010 (UTC)