|Location||East Beleriand, east of Doriath adjacent to the Celon|
|People and History|
|Inhabitants||Eöl, Aredhel, and Maeglin|
|Events||First meeting of Melian and Thingol|
|Gallery||Images of Nan Elmoth|
Nan Elmoth was a forest in East Beleriand east of Doriath, south of the River Celon, and north of Estolad. One of the two roads that the Dwarves took from Blue Mountains towards Beleriand passed near Nan Elmoth. There the trees grew to be the tallest and darkest in Beleriand, blocking the sun entirely from the forest floor.
Melian met Thingol in Nan Elmoth, and stayed motionless for years while the trees grew around them. When they woke up, they founded the realm of Doriath. Nan Elmoth was held to be part of Doriath, and Eöl the Dark Elf paid Thingol with the black sword Anglachel as a fee for living there. Eöl dwelt with his wife Aredhel, their son Maeglin, and a household of servants. Eöl's house consisted of a smithy and dim halls and was located in the middle of Nan Elmoth around fifteen miles from the northernmost edge where the Celon River ran.
In The Second 'Silmarillion' Map, Nan Elmoth is also named as Gladuial, meaning "Twilight Wood", from glad ("wood") + uial ("twilight"). However, Christopher Tolkien did not notice that this name was rejected in The Lay of Leithian Recommenced.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Maeglin"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Thingol and Melian"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Túrin Turambar"
- Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, p. 278
- Paul Strack, "S. Gladuial loc.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 13 December 2019)