|Location||Eastern Doriath, between Aros and Celon|
Arthórien was a region in eastern Doriath.
History[edit | edit source]
Arthórien was located between the rivers Aros and Celon, west of Estolad and south of Himlad. Although what appears to be the same region is also called Radhrim, it is unknown if these two regions were the same (or if one was situated within the other).
After Denethor was killed upon Amon Ereb in the First Battle of Beleriand, some of the Green-elves fled to Doriath, apparently seeking the protection of the Girdle of Melian. These elves, who became known as the Guest-elves, settled in Arthórien.
Etymology and names[edit | edit source]
On a map of Beleriand, the name Garthúrian (could possibly be read as Garthúrien, according to Christopher Tolkien) is marked as another name for Arthórien. The name Garthurian occurs in early linguistic writings, said to be a "Doriathrin name of Doriath", meaning "Fenced or Hidden Realm/Kingdom". In the same manuscript, it is said that Noldorin Arthoren, Arthurien was a translation of Garthurian. A somewhat different version is given in a "philological fragment of uncertain date", where it is written that "the Noldor often used the name Arthúrien for Doriath, though this is but an alteration of the Sindarin Garthúrian 'hidden realm'".
See also[edit | edit source]
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Narn i Hîn Húrin (The Tale of the Children of Húrin)", "Túrin in Doriath"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Two. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: Of Beleriand its Realms (Chapter 11)", pp. 183, 187, 189
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part One. The Grey Annals", pp. 112-3
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies — Part One" (edited by Carl F. Hostetter and Patrick H. Wynne), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 45, November 2003, pp. 16-7
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies", pp. 358, 360