From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 28 September.
- 1930 - Illustrator Livia Rusz is born.
- 1937 - Voice actor Donald Gee is born.
- 1973 - The National Review publishes an article on J.R.R. Tolkien's death.
- 1979 - Oxonmoot 1979 at the Eastgate Hotel.
- 1980 - Oxonmoot 1980 at The Turf Tavern.
- 1985 - Oxonmoot 1985 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 2004 - The parody book The Sillymarillion is published.
- 2008 - Oxonmoot 2008 at Christ Church.
- 2010 - The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, by Doug Adams, is published.
- T.A. 3018:
- Frodo and his companions traverse the Barrow-downs and are captured by a Barrow-wight. Tom Bombadil rescues them, finds and renames their five ponies, gives them weapons and suggests to visit the Prancing Pony at Bree.
- Gandalf reaches Sarn Ford.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.
- At night Khamûl and other 4 Ringwraiths arrive at Crickhollow; the Ringwraith from Dol Guldur is sent to collect the Ringwraith who guarded the Brandywine Bridge and the horses that they had left behind. The three Ringwraiths then watch Crickhollow through the night until the next morning.