|"The Curse of Mandos" by Lourdes Velez|
|Location||Northern Aman, east of the Pelóri and adjacent to the Helcaraxë|
|Description||Cold mountainous wasteland|
|Events||Doom of Mandos|
|Gallery||Images of Araman|
Araman was the northern coastland of Aman, north of Valinor, that lay outside the mountain-fence of the Pelóri. It was deserted, mountainous and frozen because of its neighbouring with Helcaraxë which joined it with Beleriand.
This was the way Melkor (passing through Oiomúrë), and later the Noldor took into Exile. In Araman the host of the Noldor heard the Doom of Mandos, delivered by a dark figure standing upon a high rock. Upon hearing the prophecy the host divided, with the followers of Fëanor pressing onward while those of Finarfin turned back. Later, when Fëanor and his kin burnt their ships at Losgar, Fingolfin in Araman knew that he had been betrayed and that their only course was to march across the Helcaraxë.
Other versions of the legendarium
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Index of Names"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Flight of the Noldor"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names", entries ar- and mān-
- Helge Fauskanger, "Quenya Corpus Wordlist", Ardalambion (accessed 16 February 2013)
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Book of Lost Tales Part One, Appendix: Names in the Lost Tales – Part I, entry "Eruman"