|"Peaceful Years - Aegnor" by Marya Filatova|
|Other names||Later known Anfauglith and Dor-nu-Fauglith|
|Location||South of Ered Engrin, west of Ered Luin, north-west of Lothlann, east of Ered Wethrin|
|Description||Large, green grassy plain|
|Destroyed||F.A. 455, Dagor Bragollach|
|Gallery||Images of Ard-galen|
Ard-galen (S. ardh "region" + calen "green"), later Anfauglith, was the wide green plain that lay north of the highlands of Dorthonion and south of Morgoth's fortress of Angband in the Iron Mountains, in the First Age.
In the first days after the rising of the Sun, Ard-galen was a green plain with rich grass, reaching from Hithlum and the Ered Wethrin in the west to the Ered Luin in the east, and rising into highlands of Dorthonion in the south.
In the aftermath of the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, the Battle-under-Stars that was fought when the Host of Fëanor was attacked in Mithrim, the fleeing Orcs were hunted over the mountains and into the plain of Ard-galen. The Orcs were driven into the Fen of Serech and few escaped to return to Angband. Thereafter Ard-galen would be the site of many battles.
The next clash that occurred upon Ard-galen was the Dagor Aglareb, the Glorious Battle in which Morgoth suddenly sent forth a host of Orcs to try the strength of the Elves. As the Orcs assaulted Dorthonion the armies of Fingolfin and Maedhros struck both their flanks. Again the Orcs were routed as the Elves pursued them across Ard-galen to the very gates of Angband, and none of the enemy’s soldiers survived.
During the Siege of Angband, Glaurung assaulted Ard-galen and pushed the Noldor from Ardgalen, which he took and defiled, to Dorthonion and the Ered Wethrin. This victory was short-lived, however, and Glaurung was forced back to Angband when Fingon rode against him with a company of mounted archers.
The battle of Nirnaeth Arnoediad was fought in the plain, and the dead piled up in a hill in the midst of the plain, named Haudh-en-Ndengin, the Hill of Slain, by the Elves, and Haudh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of Tears, and grass grew again upon the hill and nowhere else in Anfauglith.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Return of the Noldor"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"