Michaël Devaux has a doctorate from the Sorbonne with a special interest in the history of philosophy and the metaphysics of Leibniz. He is the editor of the Bibliographie Cartésienne 1960-1996 with Jean-Robert Armogathe and Vincent Carraud, and has written numerous articles in history of seventeenth century philosophy as well as Tolkien studies. He was the president of a French Tolkien Society (2011: defunct), and an editor of La Feuille de la Compagnie, a cahier of Tolkien studies published by Ad Solem. He has lectured on J.R.R. Tolkien in France, The Netherlands and Italy.
 Bibliography, selected
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment
- "Elves: Reincarnation"
- "France: Reception of Tolkien"
- 2010: Hither Shore 6
- "Dagor dagorath & Ragnarök: Tolkien & the Apocalypse"
- 2019: Music in Tolkien's Work and Beyond
- "Laments and Mercy: Tolkien and Liturgical Music" (with Guglielmo Spirito)