|"Avari - Nurwë" by Darina Nossova|
|Position||Leader of the Avari|
|Location||Hills around Cuiviénen|
|Birth||Before Y.T. 1085[note 1] |
|Rule||from Y.T. 1105[note 2] to unknown date|
|Gallery||Images of Nurwë|
History[edit | edit source]
During the first sundering of the Elves, the kindreds of Nurwë and Morwë had refused the summons of Oromë, as they preferred the starlight over the rumor of the Two Trees in Aman. Moreover, they feared the Valar, especially Oromë and his steed Nahar, considering Oromë a demon "that would devour them" - possibly because of the lies of Melkor.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- Oromë discovered the Elves in Y.T. 1085, while Nurwë was still alive.
- This is the year in which the Avari split from the Eldar.
- In another text, found in The Nature of Middle-earth, all of the original 144 unbegotten Elves refuse the summons of the Valar and stayed at Cuiviénen, including all 14 unbegotten Minyar.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "The Annals of Aman": Note on §57, p. 88
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar: Editorial Notes [to Quendi and Eldar]", Note 12, p. 418
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "The Annals of Aman": §57, pp. 81-2
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar: C. The Clan-names, with notes on other names for divisions of the Eldar", pp. 380-1
- Paul Strack, "Q. Nurwë m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 5 August 2023)
|Leader of the Avari|
Y.T. 1105 - unknown