Third Age 3017
Notable events in this year include:
January[edit | edit source]
February[edit | edit source]
February/March[edit | edit source]
- On his way to Mirkwood, Aragorn crosses the Anduin assisted by the Beornings.
- Gandalf visits Minas Tirith and reads the scroll of Isildur. He then leaves for the Shire.
- On his way northwards, Gandalf gets word from Lothlórien that Aragorn passed by with captured Gollum, and changes his course to meet him.
March[edit | edit source]
- 21 - Aragorn brings Gollum to Thranduil in Mirkwood.
- 23 - Gandalf comes to Thranduil and questions Gollum.
- 29 - Gandalf leaves Mirkwood and resumes his course west for Hobbiton.
Unknown[edit | edit source]
- Birth of Alphros, son of Elphir, Prince of Dol Amroth.
- Éomer becomes Third Marshal of the Riddermark.
Other versions of the legendarium[edit | edit source]
The dates concerning Gollum are taken from The Hunt for the Ring in the Unfinished Tales, where those events are said to take place a year later, in 3018; however the published The Tale of Years (Appendix B) places the capture in the year 3017. According to Hammond and Scull, Tolkien changed the date because he probably thought that more time was needed between the capture of Gollum and the arrival of Gandalf in Hobbiton (12 April, 3018). This article reflects Tolkien's later decision, but uses the exact dates from The Hunt for the Ring.
- The source doesn't mention January specifically, but it is easily deduced since Gollum was captured on the 1st of the second month.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring", "(ii) Other Versions of the Story"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Council of Elrond"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", The Line of Dol Amroth, p. 221
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", "The Kings of the Mark", Third Line
- Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, pp. 717-718