Valandil (Lord of Andúnië)
|Titles||Lord of Andúnië|
|Affiliation||Council of the Sceptre|
|Language||Adûnaic, Sindarin, Quenya|
|Birth||S.A. 630 |
|Death||unknown (aged 240+) |
|House||House of Elros|
|Parentage||Silmariën and Elatan|
As Silmarien or Valandil could not become Kings of Númenor, Tar-Elendil instead made Valandil the first of the Lords of Andúnië, who ruled the city in Andustar in western Númenor and were held in the highest honor after the Kings. As a ruler of one of the divisions of Númenor Valandil was also a member of the Council of the Sceptre, a position that was inherited by his descendants.
Valandil was a close cousin of Aldarion and twice hosted feasts for him in Andúnië, on the one hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Guild of Venturers and again in midsummer of S.A. 870 when the newly wedded Aldarion and Erendis visited.
350 - 751
543 - 942
700 - 1098
3119 - 3441
- ↑ The royal law of succession at that time (actually an unquestioned inherited custom) stated that the Sceptre was to be inherited by the Ruler's eldest son.
In Aldarion and Erendis we learn that later, Tar-Meneldur's son Tar-Aldarion altered the law so that the eldest child of the King, whether man or woman, would receive the Sceptre. Had this law existed when Tar-Elendil relinquished the Sceptre, Silmariën would have been the first Ruling Queen and Valandil and his descendants would have been the rulers of Númenor.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife", "The earlier generations of the Line of Elros"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Introduction", "The Map of Middle-earth"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Akallabêth: The Downfall of Númenor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife", Note 23
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor"
- ↑ Paul Strack, "Q. Valandil m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 29 October 2021)
House of Elros
|1st Lord of Andúnië|
S.A. 630 - S.A. ?