Events that occurred on 14 February.
On Earth[edit | edit source]
- 1896 - J.R.R. Tolkien dictates a letter to his father.
- 1896 - E.V. Gordon, a later colleague of Tolkien, is born.
- 1914 - Translator Britt G. Hallqvist is born.
- 1918 - Producer William Lawrence Snyder is born.
- 1938 - J.R.R. Tolkien gives an invitational speech at the Lovelace Society, the essay club of Worcester College, Oxford. He reads them The Legend of Worming Hall, a story that would become Farmer Giles of Ham.
- 1977 - The Mythology of Middle-earth is published.
- 2008 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, "The Ashen Wastes" is released in Europe.
In Arda[edit | edit source]
Note[edit | edit source]
In editions prior to the 50th Anniversary Edition, the Tale of Years mentions two events on this day in T.A. 3019: Gandalf returning to life, and the Mirror of Galadriel-sequence. Since it is clear from the narrative that the latter event occurred one day before departure on 16 February, this causes a problem in the chronology. Hammond and Scull decided to fix the Tale of Years so that the Mirror of Galadriel-sequence happened on 15 February. The return to life of Gandalf was also moved to this date, for reasons unclear.