From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 14 February.
- 1896 - J.R.R. Tolkien dictates a letter to his father.
- 1896 - E.V. Gordon, a later colleague of Tolkien, is born.
- 1914 - Translator Britt G. Hallqvist is born.
- 1918 - Producer William Lawrence Snyder is born.
- 1938 - J.R.R. Tolkien gives an invitational speech at the Lovelace Society, the essay club of Worcester College, Oxford. He reads them The Legend of Worming Hall, a story that would become Farmer Giles of Ham.
- 1977 - The Mythology of Middle-earth is published.
- 2008 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, "The Ashen Wastes" is released in Europe.
- T.A. 3019:
- The Fellowship of the Ring rests in Lothlórien. See note.
In editions prior to the 50th Anniversary Edition, the Tale of Years mentions two events on this day in T.A. 3019: Gandalf returning to life, and the Mirror of Galadriel-sequence. Since it is clear from the narrative that the latter event occurred one day before departure on 16 February, this causes a problem in the chronology. Hammond and Scull decided to fix the Tale of Years so that the Mirror of Galadriel-sequence happened on 15 February. The return to life of Gandalf was also moved to this date, for reasons unclear.