From Tolkien Gateway
Tolkien-related events that took place in 1951.
- 2 - Marriage of Christopher Tolkien and Faith Faulconbridge.
- 12 - Tolkien completes the tale of Beren and Lúthien in a new version of the Quenta Silmarillion.
- 21 - Artist Angelo Montanini is born.
- 10-13 - J.R.R. Tolkien attends the Congrès Internationale de Philologie Moderne at the University of Liège, where he delivers the paper "Middle English 'Losenger'".
- 13 - Bruce Phillips, who would play Grimbold in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, is born.
- Tolkien's arm suffers "a terrible bout" of fibrositis and neuritis.
- 19 - Rayner Unwin writes to Tolkien expressing his interest in seeing the Silmarillion.
- 25 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Iona and Peter Opie.
- ? (probably fall) - J.R.R. Tolkien writes the famous letter to Milton Waldman (Letter 131) explaining what his Legendarium is about, hoping to get The Lord of the Rings published. His attempt is unsuccessful.
- ? - Tolkien is working on several things, such as Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin, the Grey Annals and the Annals of Aman.
- ? - Second edition of The Hobbit.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 133, (dated 22 June 1952)
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. lxviii
1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954