From Tolkien Gateway
- 12 - Tolkien completes the tale of Beren and Lúthien in a new version of the Quenta Silmarillion.
- 21 - Artist Angelo Montanini is born.
- 10-13 - J.R.R. Tolkien attends the Congrès Internationale de Philologie Moderne at the University of Liège, where he delivers the paper "Middle English 'Losenger'".
- 13 - Bruce Phillips, who would play Grimbold in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, is born.
- ? - J.R.R. Tolkien writes the famous letter to Milton Waldman explaining what The Lord of the Rings is about, hoping to get it published. His attempt is unsuccessful.
- ? - Tolkien is working on several things, such as Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin, the Grey Annals and the Annals of Aman.
1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954