From Tolkien Gateway
January[edit | edit source]
February[edit | edit source]
- 7 - The Inklings have dinner at C.S. Lewis' house, in the company of Dr. Firor of John Hopkins University. The evening was described by Tolkien as "like a glimpse of old times: quiet and rational (since Hugo was not asked)."
- 10 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 132.
- 19 - Actor Geoff Morrell is born.
April[edit | edit source]
May[edit | edit source]
June[edit | edit source]
- ? - Rayner Unwin writes a letter to Tolkien, enquiring about Errantry and the publication efforts of his works.
- 22 - After being turned down by Collins, J.R.R. Tolkien writes to Rayner Unwin, saying he would prefer to have just the Lord of the Rings published than nothing at all.
July[edit | edit source]
- 1 - Rayner Unwin replies to Tolkien, expressing his interest in reading the finished Lord of the Rings and discussing the publishing of the Silmarillion later, ending their earlier dispute.
- 1 - Musician David Arkenstone is born.
- ? - Actor Brian George is born.
August[edit | edit source]
- 7 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to George and Moira Sayer.
- 10 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Moira Sayer.
- 11–18 - Tolkien visits Cambridge to view the Ancrene Wisse manuscript.
- 29 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 134.
- 30 - Translator Helmut W. Pesch is born.
- Late - J.R.R. Tolkien visits George Sayer. Sayer makes an audio recording of Tolkien singing and reading excerpts from his works (e.g., Namárië).
October[edit | edit source]
- 17 - J.R.R. Tolkien is appointed supervisor of T.P. Dunning's thesis.
- 24 - Tolkien writes letter 135.
November[edit | edit source]
?[edit | edit source]
- ? (Fall) - Retreating to Michael Tolkien's home at Woodcote, J.R.R. Tolkien rereads, revises and corrects The Lord of the Rings.
- ? - Artist Stephen Raw, who would be commissioned to redraw the maps for the revised 1994 edition of The Lord of the Rings, is born.
- ? - Ballantine Books is founded.
1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955