Galdor (Lord of Dor-lómin)
|"Galdor" created with AI|
|Other names||Orchal (S)|
|Titles||Lord of Dor-lómin|
|Position||Head of the House of Hador|
|Birth||F.A. 417 |
|Rule||F.A. 455 - 462|
|Death||F.A. 462 (aged 45)|
|House||House of Hador|
|Gallery||Images of Galdor|
Galdor was the second child and eldest son of Hador. He led the People of Hador when they were at the peak of their power, before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. Galdor was noted for his exceptional height, even among the Edain, and was also called Galdor the Tall.
History[edit | edit source]
In the Dagor Bragollach in F.A. 455, both Galdor's father, Hador, and his younger brother, Gundor, died in the rearguard of the Elf-lord Fingolfin. Galdor then succeeded his father as Lord of Dor-lómin. In the wake of Morgoth's triumph the wife of Barahir, Emeldir, gathered the women and children of Dorthonion and led them westward; some found refuge in Galdor's domain.
The sons of Galdor, Húrin and Huor, had been taken after the Dagor Bragollach into the hidden city of Gondolin by the eagles of Thorondor. When they departed from the city (again carried by eagles) they returned to Dor-lómin where they would not reveal where they had been, even to their father.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Other names[edit | edit source]
His title Orchal means "the Tall."
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Other versions of the legendarium[edit | edit source]
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Two. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Coming of Men into the West (Chapter 14)", Commentary, (ii) The House of Hador
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- David Salo (2004), A Gateway to Sindarin, p. 350
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Three. The Wanderings of Húrin and Other Writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion: I. The Wanderings of Húrin", p. 305, note 48
House of Hador
|6th Head of the House of Hador|
F.A. 455 - 462
|2nd Lord of Dor-lómin|
F.A. 455 - 462