The Lambengolmor were the Loremasters of the Elves. They were skilled linguists and historians, and created many works about the Elves and their languages.
Known members were Rúmil, who invented the first alphabet, Fëanor, who invented the Tengwar, and Pengolodh, who is credited with many works that are the basis for The Silmarillion.
A similar concept were the Quettúri ("Word-masters"), those Noldor who exercised lámatyávë creating new word systems.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Lambengolmor is a Quenya word, glossed as "Loremasters of Tongues" in one manuscript. In another manuscript, the alternative spelling Lambeñgolmor is seen, and also glossed as "lingustic loremasters". Helge Fauskanger has noted that only the plural form is attested, of a possible singular form Lambengolmo. The word consists of lambe ("tongue, language") + ingolmo ("loremaster").
Portrayal in adaptations[edit | edit source]
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Lore-masters are a playable class in Turbine's MMORPG for the races of Men and Elves. Lore-masters in this adaptation play a support role, casting spells to improve the performance of their allies.
2011: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar", pp. 396-8
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Qenya Noun Structure", in Parma Eldalamberon XXI (edited by Christopher Gilson, Patrick H. Wynne and Arden R. Smith), p. 84
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals and Related Writings — Part Two" (edited by Patrick H. Wynne), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 48, December 2005, p. 6
- ↑ Helge Fauskanger, "English-Quenya Wordlist (Quettaparma Quenyanna)", Ardalambion (accessed 25 June 2011)
- ↑ "Elf: The Lord of the Rings Online" dated 24 April 2007,  (accessed 26 November 2017)
- ↑ "The Lord of the Rings: War in the North Elven Character: Andriel's History" dated 21 October 2011, ps3.mmgn.com (accessed 6 July 2014)