The Notion Club Papers Part Two
From Tolkien Gateway
User:LorenzoCB is currently busy with major revisions to this article. Before editing, discuss your intentions on this article's talk page.
|Sauron Defeated chapters|
The Notion Club Papers Part Two is a chapter included in Sauron Defeated, being the second part of The Notion Club Papers.
J.R.R. Tolkien divided the Papers into two parts at some point of its composition, but ultimately he rejected this division and removed the headings of each part; however, Christopher Tolkien kept that division for editorial reasons. The heading of Part Two was as written in a separated title-page of Manuscript E:
The Strange Case of Arundel Lowdham"
- Night 62
- 6 March 1987
- Only half torn page is left from the entry of this night. Apparently the Club discussed more of Michael Ramer's adventures.
- Night 63
- 13 March 1987
- Only the last page is left from the entry of this night. They talked about legendary travels. Afterwards, Ramer, Arundel Lowdham, and Nicholas Guildford walked together in the streets of Oxford and reached the Radcliffe Camera, illuminated by the moonlight and with a cloud nearby that looked like it emerged from the dome. Seeing this, Lowdham turned pale and cursed someone unconsciously. Ramer and Guildford parted ways with him, and commented on how weird Lowdham was acting lately.
- Night 64
- 27 March 1987
- There was only one quiet meeting during the Holy Week holidays, which was held in Guildford's rooms. Neither Ramer nor Lowdham attended, and Guildford read an essay on ancient Jutland.
- Night 65
- 8 May 1987
- The meeting was hold in Philip Frankley's rooms in Queen's. All main members attended, and they wished Ramer to talk more, but he did not seem to.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Sauron Defeated, "Part Two: The Notion Club Papers: Introduction", p. 146
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Sauron Defeated, "Part Two: The Notion Club Papers Part Two", p. 282, note 1. Cf. also p. 153, note 2