Third Age 1409
From Tolkien Gateway
Notable events in this year include:
- Angmar War: The Witch-king of Angmar invades Arnor with a great host. Fornost and Tyrn Gorthad are defended.
- The Tower of Amon Sûl destroyed, but its palantír was saved and moved to Fornost.
- Rhudaur became a fief of Angmar, occupied by evil Men; Cardolan was ravaged with some fleeing to the Old Forest.
- The Dúnedain were defeated and King Arveleg I of Arthedain slain.
- Arveleg I's son, Araphor, becomes the ninth King of Arthedain.
- Fornost and the North Downs are defended by Araphor with help from Círdan.
- The Elves of Lindon and Elrond, assisted by the Galadhrim who came from beyond the Misty Mountains, subdue Angmar for some time.
- The last prince of Cardolan is killed and buried in a barrow of Tyrn Gorthad.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur"
- Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, "Fog on the Barrow-downs", pp. 144-5; Index, 'Cardolan, last prince of'