|"Voronwe" by Kimberly|
|Other names||Bronwë (S)|
|Affiliation||House of Fingolfin, Tuor|
|Parentage||Aranwë and a kinswoman of Círdan|
|Clothing||Elven-mail with a great cloak|
|Gallery||Images of Voronwë|
Voronwë Aranwion was a mariner of Gondolin.
He was sent by King Turgon to seek a passage to Aman and call on the Valar for aid against Morgoth. He delayed on the road, tarrying in Nan-tathren and because of this he was the final one to embark on the last ship that Círdan, at the request of Turgon, had built for them. After sailing for seven years without reaching the lands in the West, his ship attempted to return to Middle-Earth defeated. In a storm within sight of the coast the ship was wrecked and all save him were drowned. By the grace of Ulmo, Voronwë was saved from the wreck and washed ashore in Nevrast, near Vinyamar. He was sitting at its wall when he encountered Tuor and heard his story as the messenger of Ulmo and led him back to Gondolin.
It is said that he may have left Middle-earth with Tuor and Idril.
Other versions of the legendarium
In The Book of Lost Tales, his Qenya name Voronwë meant "the Faithful", but he was mostly known in Gnomish Bronweg ("the Constant One"). As in later works, he is the guide of Tuor, but also the father of Littleheart – a figure that does not recur elsewhere.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Three. The Wanderings of Húrin and Other Writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion: V. The Tale of Years", p. 352
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Index of Names", entry "Voronwë"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings: Eldarin Roots and Stems", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 189
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, Index, entry "Aranwë"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Book of Lost Tales Part One, Appendix: Names in the Lost Tales – Part I, entry "Bronweg"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Book of Lost Tales Part Two, "III. The Fall of Gondolin", passim
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Shaping of Middle-earth, "III. The Quenta: [Section] 17"