The Book of Lost Tales Part Two
|The Book of Lost Tales Part 2|
|Author||J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien|
|Publisher||George Allen and Unwin (UK)|
Houghton Mifflin (US)
|Released||16 August 1984 (UK)|
26 November 1984 (US)
The Book of Lost Tales Part Two is the second volume of The History of Middle-earth. It is the continuation of The Book of Lost Tales Part One, including the first forms of the tales of Beren and Lúthien, Túrin and the Dragon, the Necklace of the Dwarves and the Fall of Gondolin. Each tale is followed by a commentary in the form of a short essay, together with the texts of associated poems, and contains extensive information on names and vocabulary in the earliest Elvish languages.
 From the publisher
The second of a two-book set that contains the early myths and legends which led to the writing of Tolkien's epic tale of war, The Silmarillion. This second part of The Book of Lost Tales includes the tale of Beren and Lúthien, Túrin and the Dragon, and the only full narratives of the Necklace of the Dwarves and the Fall of Gondolin, itself the finest and most exciting depiction of a battle that Tolkien ever wrote. Each tale is followed by a commentary in the form of a short essay, together with texts of associated poems, and contains extensive information on names and vocabulary in the earliest Elvish languages. This series of fascinating books has now been repackaged to complement the distinctive and classic style of the 'black cover' A-format paperbacks of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
- "The Tale of Tinúviel" – the first versions of the tale of Beren and Lúthien.
- "Turambar and the Foalókë" – the first version of the Túrin saga.
- "The Fall of Gondolin" – the most complete narrative of the Fall of Gondolin.
- "The Nauglafring" – a story which was never rewritten in full, and was mostly left out of the later Silmarillion.
- "The Tale of Eärendel" – a fragmentary but full narrative of Eärendil's travels.
- "The History of Eriol or Ælfwine and the End of the Tales" – an essay about the changes in the framework, and the "unwritten" tales.
|The History of Middle-earth series|
|i.The Book of Lost Tales Part One · ii.The Book of Lost Tales Part Two · iii.The Lays of Beleriand|
iv.The Shaping of Middle-earth · v.The Lost Road and Other Writings · vi.The Return of the Shadow
vii.The Treason of Isengard · viii.The War of the Ring · ix.Sauron Defeated
x.Morgoth's Ring · xi.The War of the Jewels · xii.The Peoples of Middle-earth