From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 16 October.
- 1917 – J.R.R. Tolkien leaves Brooklands Officers' Hospital in Hull for Thirtle Bridge camp.
- 1944 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 85.
- 1946 - Percy Bates dies.
- 1959 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 219.
- 1963 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 249.
- 1966 - Actress Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is born.
- 1968 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Niall Hoskin.
- 2002 - The PlayStation 2 version of The Fellowship of the Ring are released in North America.
- 2009 - Mereth Aderthad XV, or "EstelCon", in Cardona, Spain.
- 2009 - Voice actor Denys Hawthorne dies.
- F.A. 495:
- T.A. 3018: