From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 9 October.
On Earth[edit | edit source]
- 1937 - Actor Brian Blessed is born.
- 1945 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Christopher Tolkien.
- 1953 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 141.
- 1959 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 218.
- 1964 - Film director Guillermo del Toro is born.
- 1968 - Video-game writer František Fuka is born.
- 1979 - The Jackanory episode "Inside Information" is aired on the BBC.
- 1982 - The thirteenth - and final - episode of the new version of the 1981 radio series of The Lord of the Rings is aired on BBC Radio 4.
- 2004 - The Lord of the Rings Symphony at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- 2010 - Chilean Tolkien Society's Mereth Oronnad.
- 2014 - The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (expanded edition) is published.
- 2017 - Filming began on Tolkien (film), directed by Dome Karukoski and written by David Gleeson.
In Arda[edit | edit source]
- T.A. 3018:
- With Frodo severely wounded, Strider and the four hobbits travel slowly towards Rivendell.
- Glorfindel and other High Elves leave Rivendell in search of the Ring-bearer.
- Gandalf hurries towards Rivendell after the Black Riders attacked him on Weathertop.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.