From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 5 October.
- 1963 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 248.
- 1979 - The Jackanory episode "Flies and Spiders" is aired on the BBC.
- 1984 - Oxonmoot 1984 at Oxford Town Hall.
- 1998 - Tolkien: Man and Myth is published.
- 2002 - The Greek Tolkien society Ellinikós Sýllogos Philon Tólkin is founded.
- 2007 - Cair Andros, a feast of the Ellinikós Sýllogos Philon Tólkin.
- 2009 - The History Channel airs Tolkien's Monsters.
- 2010 - The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films is published in the US.
- T.A. 3018:
- Together with Strider the four hobbits travel towards Weathertop.
- Gandalf hurries towards Rivendell after the Black Riders attacked him on Weathertop.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.
- T.A. 3019:
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"