|Aratan in The Lord of the Rings Online|
|Birth||S.A. 3339 |
|Death||T.A. 2 (aged 104)|
Disaster of the Gladden Fields
|House||House of Isildur|
|Siblings||Elendur, Ciryon and Valandil|
|Gallery||Images of Aratan|
Aratan was the second son of Isildur.
In the War of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, Aratan and his brother Ciryon did not participate in the Siege of Barad-dûr. Isildur had sent these two brothers to man Minas Ithil so as to guard Cirith Dúath and prevent a possible breakout of Sauron should he escape the siege.
In the Disaster of the Gladden Fields, Ciryon was the first brother to fall; Aratan was mortally wounded while trying to save him. After Aratan was wounded, Elendur advised his father to put on the One Ring and escape.
Other versions of the legendarium
In early manuscripts Aratan was named "Eärnur".
Portrayal in adaptations
2019: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- The three elder sons of Isildur appear during an extended flashback set during the Siege of Barad-dûr in the year S.A. 3440. However, because the game's license does not cover the works in which they are named, they are referred to only by their war-time aliases, meant to hide their kinship with the King. Aratan uses the name "Ornaher" as his alias.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields", "Notes", note 11
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields"
- Paul Strack, "Q. Aratan m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 27 January 2022)