Fourth Age 41
From Tolkien Gateway
Fourth Age 41 (abbreviated to Fo.A. 41 or F.O. 41) is the 41st year of the Sun of the Fourth Age of Middle-earth. Unless otherwise stated, Tolkien Gateway follows Shire usage in Appendix B for reckoning Fourth Age years: Fourth Age 41 was also known as S.R. 1462 in Shire-reckoning.
Notable events in this year include:
- Samwise Gamgee is elected Mayor of Michel Delving for the sixth time.
- At Samwise's request, Thain Peregrin Took makes Fastred the Warden of Westmarch. Fastred and Elanor make their dwelling at Undertowers on the Tower Hills, where their descendants, the Fairbairns of the Towers, dwelt for many generations.
Within the Year
- Birth of Holfast Gardner, son of Frodo Gardner and grandson of Samwise Gamgee.
Other versions of the legendarium
According to the Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, the Westmarch was added to the Shire in this year (S.R. 1462), contradicting the Tale of Years that gave S.R. 1452. The date was corrected to 1452 in the Prologue of 50th Anniversary Edition.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"