This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
This article or section needs more/new/more-detailed sources to conform to a higher standard and to provide proof for claims made.
|"Mistress Lobelia" by John Howe|
|Other names||Lobelia Bracegirdle|
Bag End, Hobbiton
|Birth||S.R. 1318 |
|Death||S.R. 1420 (aged 102)|
|Parentage||Blanco Bracegirdle and Primrose Boffin|
|Gallery||Images of Lobelia Sackville-Baggins|
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, (née Bracegirdle) (T.A. 2918 - T.A. 3020, died aged 102) was the second child, and only daughter of Primrose Boffin and Blanco Bracegirdle and then the wife of Otho Sackville-Baggins, a distant relative of Bilbo Baggins, known for her want of the hobbit-hole Bag End.
Lobelia was born in Hardbottle to Primrose Boffin and Blanco Bracegirdle and the sister of Bruno Bracegirdle. Lobelia was renowned in the The Shire for her temper and greed. She later married Bilbo Baggins's cousin Otho Sackville-Baggins, and they had one child together, Lotho, who was born in S.R. 1364.
Her envy of Bag End was well-known; when Bilbo left for his legendary journey in S.R. 1341 she coveted Bag End and found an oportunity to steal some of Bilbo's spoons, as Bilbo suspected after his return, and Lobelia knew well his suspicions. Lobelia and Otho were furious when Bilbo made Frodo Baggins his heir, him being a more distant relative. However, he did invite them to his farewell feast, with magnificent invitations written with golden ink; Lobelia could not ignore it. The next day she and Otho came to Bag End, hearing that Bilbo's household was being given out, but Frodo said that what was directed to her was only a case of silver spoons. She took "the point", and took the gift. But later as Otho left, she was still there, investigating nooks and corners and tapping the floors, she had snatched some small valuable things in her umbrella, until Frodo relieved her and drove her out, as she shouted that he should also leave, being half Brandybuck, did not belong here. Gandalf later saw her driving a pony-trap towards Bywater.
Her angry words to Frodo turned out to be true: he decided to leave for Crickhollow (a rouse to escape the Shire) he sold Bag End to Lobelia by June T.A. 3018, but unfortunately Lobelia was now centennial, and Otho had died by then. The titles would pass to her on 24 September but she went there the previous day with Lotho, and an inventory list to inspect that that nothing she had paid for had been carried off to Buckland. She went right though her list, and in the end they departed with the spare key; Frodo said that his own would be left with the Gamgee Family and Lobelia reacted as if she thought that the Gamgees would rob the household until the next day.
During the War of the Ring, Lobelia was imprisoned in Lockholes for arguing with the Chief's Men, and attacking one of them with an umbrella. When she came out, Lobelia was popular for the first time for bravely standing up to the Saruman's Men. However, she was crushed to find out her son had been murdered whilst she was in prison. After the War of the Ring, Lobelia returned to her home village to live with the other Bracegirdles, giving Bag End to Frodo. When she died, she gave her money to Frodo to be used to help hobbits left homeless by Saruman and her son.
 Portrayal in adaptations
|Lobelia in adaptations|
- Although she is only named in passing, Diana Bishop plays Lobelia at Bilbo's 111th Birthday party. She and Otho are given a brief exchange complaining about being part of "one gross", and questioning what "Frodo coming into his inheritance" means.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- In the expansion Dark Minions, Lobelia appears as two different cards: "Mistress Lobelia" is a Resource Ally, and "Lobelia Sackville-Baggins" is an Agent.
- Lobelia (portrayed by Elizabeth Moody) appears briefly along with Otho in the film, attempting to confront Bilbo during his farewell party, though Bilbo manages to elude their presence.
- Lobelia (voiced by Jennifer Hale) appears in Bywater. Frodo has to give her the Bag End Deed as one of the first missions. When Frodo approaches her she insists he first warn Robin Smallburrow of the wolves in the Shire by ringing the warning bell. Frodo does so, before presenting an exhilirated Lobelia with the Bag End Deed.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Found outside Bag End, Lobelia is involved in several quests dealiving with surprises left for her by the previous owner.
- Lobelia is seen briefly in the Extended Edition (along with Otho) in the marketplace outside of the Green Dragon Inn. The character's costume is deliberately ostentatious to be "bright and show-offy" as "she aspires to the best dressed lady in Hobbiton".
- She and Otho are also seen at the end of the film when Bilbo's possessions are being auctioned off as he returns to the Shire. Lobelia pretends not to know who Bilbo is, but he calls her on it. She is portrayed by Erin Banks.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Baggins of Hobbiton"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "The Return Journey"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Three is Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, "Giving of Names" p.195
- ↑ "(Results from search for cards in the game Middle Earth)", Tradecardsoneline.com (accessed 26 March 2014)
- ↑ Daniel Falconer, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Chronicles: Art & Design, p. 23