Ring of Barahir
|Ring of Barahir|
|The Ring of Barahir as conceived by The Noble Collection|
|Other names||Ring of Felagund|
|Location||Tirion, Nargothrond, Dorthonion, Númenor, Arnor, Rivendell|
|Owner||Finrod Felagund, Barahir, Beren, Elros, Kings of Númenor, Silmariën, Lords of Andúnië, Kings of Arnor, Aragorn, Arwen|
|Appearance||Two serpents with emerald eyes, crown of golden flowers|
|Created||Valinor, Years of the Trees|
|Gallery||Images of the Ring of Barahir|
Description[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Ring was fashioned in Valinor by the Noldor, and was owned by the Elven Lord Finrod. He took it to Middle-earth during the Exile of the Noldor, along with other treasures he brought from Tirion, and wore it with him in Nargothrond.
Barahir wore the Ring for the rest of his life, until his hand, still wearing it, was taken by the leader of the Orcs who killed him, as a proof of his feat. But Beren went through great perils to avenge his father and retrieved his hand. Beren laid the hand to rest with the rest of his father's remains, but kept and wore the Ring.
When Beren was assigned the Quest for the Silmaril, he went to Nargothrond and used it as a token to seek Finrod's help. Finrod fulfilled his pledge and even found his death in the dungeons of Minas Tirith in order to save Beren.
The Ring's fate in the following centuries is only vaguely recorded. Through Dior, his daughter Elwing and her son Elros, it found its way to Númenor. Apparently it remained an heirloom of the Kings of Númenor, until King Tar-Elendil did not give it to his heir Tar-Meneldur, but to his eldest daughter Silmariën, who was not allowed to succeed him on the throne. She in turn gave the ring to her son Valandil, first Lord of Andúnië. The Ring was handed down to the succeeding Lords of Andúnië until the last of the Faithful. Thus it survived the Downfall of Númenor when the Faithful escaped to Middle-earth.
In the Third Age, the ring was again passed in direct line from Elendil, the last of the Lords of Andúnië, as an heirloom of the Kings of Arnor, and then Kings of Arthedain until the fall of Arthedain.
The last King of Arthedain, Arvedui, gave the ring to the chief of the Lossoth of Forochel, thankful for the help he received from them. Years after T.A. 1975, it was ransomed from the Snowmen by the Rangers of the North, and it was kept safe at Rivendell.
Eventually, in T.A. 2952, it was given by Elrond to Aragorn son of Arathorn, when he was told of his true name and lineage, together with the shards of Narsil. In T.A. 2980, while in Lórien, Aragorn gave the ring to Arwen Undómiel, and thus they were betrothed.
Nothing is said of the fate of the ring in the Fourth Age, but unless it went with Arwen to her grave at Cerin Amroth, it most likely passed to the Kings of the Reunited Kingdom, descendants of Aragorn and Arwen.
Other versions of the legendarium[edit | edit source]
Proud are the words, and all there turned
to see the jewels green that burned
in Beren's ring. These Gnomes had set
as eyes of serpents twined that met
beneath a golden crown of flowers,
that one upholds and one devours:
the badge that Finrod made of yore
and Felagund his son now bore...
—Canto IV, vv. 1096-1103
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Beren and Lúthien"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Return of the Noldor"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "A Description of the Island of Númenor", "Notes", Note 2
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"