|Conflict: Pre-War of Wrath; result of the Oath of Fëanor|
|Date: F.A. 538|
|Place: Havens of Sirion|
|Outcome: Victory for the Sons of Fëanor|
Elves of Sirion
- "And so there came to pass the last and cruellest of the slayings of Elf by Elf; and that was the third of the great wrongs achieved by the accursed oath."
- ― Quenta Silmarillion, "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- See also: Oath of Fëanor
Fëanor and his Sons had sworn an oath to acquire the Silmarils at any cost after they were stolen by Morgoth who fled to Middle-earth. One of the jewels was stolen from Morgoth by Beren and Lúthien where it would later be set upon the Nauglamir. Later it came to the possession of Dior, son of Beren, and he restored the kingdom of Doriath after it was sacked by the Dwarves of Nogrod. However the sons of Fëanor attacked Doriath hoping to gain the Silmaril, but it escaped their grasp when Elwing, daughter of Dior, fled with it along with the survivors of Doriath to the Mouths of Sirion.
When Maedhros learned that Elwing survived the destruction of Doriath and dwelt in the Havens with the Silmaril, he withheld his hand but soon the oath compelled him to act and sent word to the Havens demanding the jewel. The peoples of the Havens as well as Elwing refused.
As a final resort, the Sons of Fëanor sacked the Havens in what was considered to be the 'cruellest of the slayings of Elf by Elf'. Some of the Fëanorians did not take part in the slaughter and rebelled against their lords aiding Elwing and in turn they were slain. Maedhros and Maglor emerged victorious at the end but they did not gain the Silmaril for Elwing had cast herself into the sea with it. Amrod and Amras were slain in the battle leaving only Maedhros and Maglor as the remaining sons of Fëanor.
When the news of the raid by the Sons of Fëanor reached Balar, Círdan and Gil-galad sailed to the Havens but were too late to help the Elves. The survivors of the raid joined Círdan and Gil-galad to the Isle of Balar. Elrond and Elros, sons of Eärendil and Elwing, were captured by Maedhros and Maglor, although later Maglor grew to love them and adopted them.
Elwing and the Silmaril were not lost as Ulmo bore her up from the waves and took the form of a great white bird and she flew over the sea seeking Eärendil. Eventually she found him and using the Silmaril they both reached Aman.
 Other versions of the legendarium
The first iteration of the battle is told in notes of The Tale of Eärendel, in this early version the raid is carried out by Melko in which Elwing is taken captive. This was later abandoned and the raid on the Havens is carried out by the Sons of Fëanor.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Three. The Wanderings of Húrin and Other Writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion: V. The Tale of Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Flight of the Noldor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Narn i Hîn Húrin (The Tale of the Children of Húrin)", "Notes"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Book of Lost Tales Part Two, "V. The Tale of Eärendel"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Shaping of Middle-earth, "II. The Earliest 'Silmarillion': Commentary on the 'Sketch of the Mythology'", 17
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Shaping of Middle-earth, "VII. The Earliest Annals of Beleriand: [The first version of The Earliest Annals of Beleriand (Text AB I)]"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, "Part Two: Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings, III. The Later Annals of Beleriand"
|First Kinslaying (Alqualondë) · Second Kinslaying (Doriath) · Third Kinslaying (Havens of Sirion)|