Desolation of the Dragon
The Desolation of the Dragon, also known as the Desolation of Smaug, was a bleak and barren desert around Erebor and Dale, charred and blackened by the burning breath of Smaug in the days of the dragon Smaug.
History[edit | edit source]
The area that later became known as the Desolation of the Dragon had been green and fair before the arrival of the dragon and probably encompassed arable lands to produce food for the city of Dale.
In T.A. 2770 the dragon Smaug attacked Erebor and destroyed the Kingdom under the Mountain and the city of Dale and probably started to create the Desolation of the Dragon by burning the landscape with his fiery breath.
After Bard killed Smaug in T.A. 2941 the desolation recovered, the town of Dale was rebuilt in T.A. 2944, the fields in the valley of the River Running were tilled again and the former desolation was filled with birds and blossoms in spring and with fruits in autumn.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "On the Doorstep"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Fire and Water"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Many Meetings", p. 229
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Unfinished index for The Lord of the Rings", in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 208
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 770, p. 1088
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 1941, p. 1089
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 2944, p. 1089
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "The Last Stage"
|Route of Thorin and Company|
|Bag End · Green Dragon · The Shire · Lone-lands · Last Bridge · Trollshaws · Trolls' cave · Rivendell · High Pass · Front Porch · Goblin-town · Goblin-gate · Eagle's Eyrie · Carrock · Beorn's Hall · Wilderland · Forest Gate · Elf-path · Mirkwood · Elvenking's Halls · Forest River · Lake-town · Long Lake · River Running · Desolation of the Dragon · Ravenhill · Back Door · Lonely Mountain · Great Hall of Thráin|