John Garth (b. 9 June 1966), winner of the 2004 Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award, studied English at Oxford University and has since worked as a newspaper journalist in London. A long-standing taste for the works of Tolkien, combined with an interest in the First World War, fueled the five years of research that have gone into Tolkien and the Great War and he has drawn extensively on previously unpublished personal papers as well as Tolkien's service record and other unique military documents. Since 2005, he is a member of the Review Panel of Vinyar Tengwar.
- 2006: The Lord of the Rings 1954–2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder
- "Frodo and the Great War"
- 2006: Various entries in J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment
- 2007: Myth and Magic: Art according to the Inklings
- "'As under a green sea': visions of war in the Dead Marshes"
- 2008: The Lord of the Rings: Sources of Inspiration
- "Tolkien, Exeter College, and the Great War"
- 2008: The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference
- "As under a green sea': visions of war in the Dead Marshes"
- 2009: Mallorn 48
- "Tolkien of the Many Names" (guest editorial)
- "Views of a lost world" (review of Black & White Ogre Country)
- 2011: Tolkien Studies: Volume 8
- "Robert Quilter Gilson, T.C.B.S.: A Brief Life in Letters"
- 2014: Tolkien Studies: Volume 11
- "'The road from adaptation to invention': How Tolkien Came to the Brink of Middle-earth in 1914"
- 2016: The Return Of The Ring: Proceedings of the Tolkien Society Conference 2012
- "Robert Quilter Gilson, T.C.B.S.: A brief life in letters"
- 2016: The Telegraph
- 2018: Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth
- "Tolkien and the Inklings"
- 2019: Sub-creating Arda
- "Ilu's Music: The Creation of Tolkien's Creation Myth"
- 2019: "Something Has Gone Crack"
- "Revenants and Angels: Tolkien, Machen, and Mons"
- 2020: Amon Hen 286:
- "The Lord of the Rings Toughest Quiz Ever"
- 2013: The Daily Beast (23 March)
- 2014: New Statesman (29 May)
- 2016: New Statesman (15 April)
- 2016: The Telegraph (12/16 November)
- 2001: Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings
- 2004: The Real Middle-earth (documentary)
- 2004: J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-Earth
- 2014: War of Words: Soldier-Poets of the Somme
- 2014: Tolkien's Great War (documentary)
- 2014: JRR Tolkien, le seigneur des écrivains
- Vinyar Tengwar, Number 47, February 2005, p. 2