Remmirath, also known as the Netted Stars, was a constellation in the skies over Arda.
Though not mentioned specifically, Remmirath's origin is likely the same to that of other constellations: it was created by Varda to signal the Elves to Valinor. In the Third Age, it could be clearly seen in the Eastern sky during the autumn.
Remmirath is Sindarin, being quite accurately translated with its Westron name the "Netted Stars". The word is composed of three elements: rem ("mesh") + mir ("jewel") + the collective plural suffix -ath. It has been translated as "group of gems in a net" and "group of jewels caught in a net".
Other versions of the legendarium
In the earliest stage of the legendarium, the Pleiades were called Itseloktë ("Cluster of Flies") in Qenya, and Sithaloth or Sithaloctha ("Fly-cluster") in Gnomish.
Remmirath is identified as the open star cluster Pleiades.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Three is Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Beginning of Days"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" (edited by Carl F. Hostetter), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 42, July 2001, pp. 12, 29
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Qenyaqetsa: The Qenya Phonology and Lexicon", in Parma Eldalamberon XII (edited by Carl F. Hostetter, Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith, and Patrick H. Wynne), p. 43
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "I-Lam na-Ngoldathon: The Grammar and Lexicon of the Gnomish Tongue", in Parma Eldalamberon XI (edited by Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith, and Patrick H. Wynne), p. 68
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 24
|Constellations||Anarríma · Durin's Crown · Menelmacar · Remmirath · Soronúmë · Telumendil · Valacirca · Wilwarin|
|Stars||Alcarinquë · Borgil · Carnil · Elemmírë · Helluin · Luinil · Lumbar · Morwinyon · Nénar · Star of Eärendil · Til|
|The Airs||Aiwenórë · Fanyamar · Ilmen · Menel · Vaiya · Veil of Arda · Vista|
|Narsilion||Arien · Moon (Isil, Ithil, Rána) · Sun (Anar, Anor, Vása) · Tilion|
|See also||Abyss · Arda · Circles of the World · Eä · Timeless Halls · Two Lamps · Two Trees · Void|