Third Age 3019
Notable events in this year include:
- 8 - The Company reach Hollin.
- 11 - Snow on Caradhras.
- 12 - More snow.
- 13 - Attack by Wolves in the early hours. The Company reaches the West-gate of Moria at nightfall. Gollum begins to trail the Ring-bearer.
- 14 - Night in Hall Twenty-one.
- 15 - The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, and fall of Gandalf. The Company reaches Nimrodel late at night.
- 17 - The Company comes to Caras Galadhon at evening.
- 23 - Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirakzigil.
- 25 - He casts down the Balrog, and passes away. His body lies on the peak.
- 15 - The Mirror of Galadriel. Gandalf returns to life, and lies in a trance.
- 16 - Farewell to Lothlórien. Gollum in hiding on the west bank observes the departure.
- 17 - Gwaihir bears Gandalf to Lothlórien.
- 23 - The boats are attacked at night near Sarn Gebir. Shadowfax returns to Edoras.
- 25 - The Company pass the Argonath and camp at Parth Galen. First Battle of the Fords of Isen; Théodred son of Théoden slain.
- 26 - Breaking of the Fellowship. Death of Boromir; his horn is heard in Minas Tirith. Meriadoc and Peregrin captured. Frodo and Samwise enter the eastern Emyn Muil. Aragorn sets out in pursuit of the Orcs at evening. Éomer hears of the descent of the Orc-band from the Emyn Muil.
- 27 - Aragorn reaches the west-cliff at sunrise. Éomer against Théoden's orders sets out from Eastfold about midnight to pursue the Orcs.
- 28 - Éomer overtakes the Orcs just outside Fangorn Forest.
- 29 - Merry and Pippin escape and meet Treebeard. The Rohirrim attack at sunrise and destroy the Orcs. Frodo descends from the Emyn Muil and meets Gollum. Faramir sees the funeral boat of Boromir.
- 30 - Entmoot begins. Éomer returning to Edoras meets Aragorn.
- 1 - Frodo begins the passage of the Dead Marshes at dawn. Entmoot continues. Aragorn meets Gandalf, and forgets to celebrate his 88th birthday. They set out for Edoras. Faramir leaves Minas Tirith on an errand to Ithilien.
- 2 - Frodo comes to the end of the Dead Marshes. Gandalf comes to Edoras and heals Théoden. The Rohirrim ride west against Saruman. Second Battle of the Fords of Isen. Erkenbrand defeated. Entmoot ends in afternoon. The Ents march on Isengard and reach it at night.
- 3 - Théoden retreats to Helm's Deep. Battle of the Hornburg begins. Ents complete the destruction of Isengard.
- 4 - Théoden and Gandalf set out from the Hornburg for Isengard. Frodo reaches the slag-mounds on the edge of the Desolation of the Morannon.
- 5 - Théoden reaches Isengard at noon. Parley with Saruman in Orthanc. Winged Nazgûl passes over the camp at Dol Baran. Gandalf sets out with Pippin for Minas Tirith. Frodo hides in sight of the Morannon, and leaves at dusk.
- 6 - At dawn Gandalf and Pippin reach Edoras. Aragorn overtaken by the Grey Company in the early hours. Aragorn uses the Orthanc-stone to reveal himself and Andúril to Sauron. Théoden sets out from the Hornburg for Harrowdale. Aragorn sets out later.
- 7 - Frodo taken by Faramir to Henneth Annûn. Aragorn comes to Dunharrow at nightfall. Gandalf and Pippin, riding through Anórien, see the Warning beacons of Gondor lit.
- 8 - Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead at daybreak; he reaches the Stone of Erech at midnight. Frodo leaves Henneth Annûn.
- 9 - Gandalf reaches Minas Tirith. Faramir leaves Henneth Annûn. Aragorn sets out from Erech and comes to Calembel. At dusk Frodo reaches the Morgul-road. Théoden comes to Dunharrow. The Red Arrow is presented by Hirgon to Théoden. Darkness begins to flow out of Mordor.
- 10 - The Dawnless Day. The Muster of Rohan: the Rohirrim ride from Harrowdale. Faramir rescued by Gandalf and Imrahil outside the gates of the City. Aragorn crosses Ringló. An army from the Morannon takes Cair Andros and passes into Anórien. Frodo passes the Cross-roads, and sees the Morgul-host set forth.
- 11 - Gollum visits Shelob, but seeing Frodo asleep nearly repents. Denethor sends Faramir to Osgiliath. Aragorn reaches Linhir and crosses into Lebennin. Eastern Rohan is invaded from the north. First assault on Lothlórien.
- 12 - Gollum leads Frodo into Shelob's Lair. Faramir retreats to the Causeway Forts. Cair Andros falls. Théoden camps under Min-Rimmon. Aragorn drives the Southrons towards Pelargir. The Ents defeat the invaders of Rohan.
- 13 - Frodo captured by the Orcs of Cirith Ungol. The Pelennor is over-run. Faramir is wounded. Aragorn reaches Pelargir and captures the fleet. Théoden in Drúadan Forest.
- 14 - Samwise finds Frodo in the Tower. Minas Tirith is besieged. The Rohirrim led by the Woses come to the Grey Wood.
- 15 - In the early hours the Witch-king breaks the Gates of the City. Denethor burns himself on a pyre. The horns of the Rohirrim are heard at cockcrow. Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Théoden is slain. Éowyn and Meriadoc wounded. Aragorn raises the standard of Arwen. Frodo and Sam escape and begin their journey north along the Morgai. Battle under the trees in Mirkwood; Thranduil repels the forces of Dol Guldur. Second assault on Lothlórien.
- 16 - Debate of the commanders. Frodo from the Morgai looks out over the camp to Mount Doom.
- 17 - Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot fall. Many Dwarves and Men take refuge in Erebor and are besieged. Shagrat brings Frodo's cloak, mail-shirt, and sword to Barad-dûr, and is murdered.
- 18 - The Host of the West marches from Minas Tirith. Frodo comes in sight of the Isenmouthe; he is over-taken by Orcs on the road from Durthang to Udûn.
- 19 - The Host comes to Morgul Vale. Frodo and Samwise escape and begin their journey along the road to the Barad-dûr.
- 21 - A force of Orcs and Easterlings attempt to ambush lead companies of the Host.
- 22 - The dreadful nightfall. Frodo and Samwise leave the road and turn south to Mount Doom. Third assault on Lothlórien.
- 23 - The Host passes out of Ithilien. Aragorn dismisses the faint-hearted. Frodo and Samwise cast away their arms and gear.
- 24 - Frodo and Samwise make their last journey to the feet of Mount Doom. The Host of the West camps in the Desolation of the Morannon.
- 25 - The Host is surrounded on the Slag-hills of Dagorlad. Frodo and Samwise reach the Sammath Naur. Gollum seizes the Ring and falls in the Cracks of Doom. Downfall of Barad-dûr and passing of Sauron.
- 27 - Bard II and Thorin III Stonehelm drive the enemy from Dale.
- 28 - Celeborn crosses Anduin, destruction of Dol Guldur begun.
- 6 - Meeting of Celeborn and Thranduil.
- 8 - The Ring-bearers are honoured on the Field of Cormallen.
- 1 - Coronation of King Elessar, Elrond and Arwen set out from Rivendell.
- 8 - Éomer and Éowyn depart for Rohan with Elrohir and Elladan.
- 20 - Elrond and Arwen come to Lothlórien.
- 27 - The escort of Arwen leaves Lothlórien.
- 14 - The sons of Elrond meet the escort and bring Arwen to Edoras.
- 16 - The escort of Arwen sets out for Gondor.
- 25 - King Elessar finds the sapling of the White Tree.
- 15 - Arwen gives Frodo her place to sail into the West.
- 18 - Éomer returns to Minas Tirith.
- 22 - The funeral escort of King Théoden sets out from Minas Tirith.
- 7 - The escort comes to Edoras.
- 10 - Funeral of Théoden.
- 14 - The guests take leave of King Éomer.
- 15 - Treebeard releases Saruman from Orthanc.
- 18 - They come to Helm's Deep.
- 22 - They come to Isengard, they take leave of the King of the West at sunset.
- 28 - They overtake Saruman; Saruman turns towards the Shire.
- 6 - They halt in the sight of the Mountains of Moria.
- 13 - Celeborn and Galadriel depart, the others set out for Rivendell.
- 22 - The hundred and twenty-ninth birthday of Bilbo. Saruman comes to the Shire.
- 5 - Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin leave Rivendell.
- 6 - They cross the Ford of Bruinen; Frodo feels the first return of pain.
- 28 - They reach Bree at nightfall.
- 30 - They leave Bree. The "Travellers" come to the Brandywine Bridge at dark. Gandalf leaves to visit Tom Bombadil.
- 1 - The four Hobbits are arrested at Frogmorton.
- 2 - They come to Bywater and rouse the Shire-folk.
- 3 - Battle of Bywater, and Passing of Saruman. End of the War of the Ring.
- 4 - Frodo rides to Michel Delving and releases prisoners from the Lockholes.
- Thanks to the Ruffians's stores of goods discovered in Michel Delving and Scary, the Hobbits have an especially cheerful Yule.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Riders of Rohan"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Minas Tirith"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Passing of the Grey Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Muster of Rohan"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Siege of Gondor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Black Gate Opens"
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 8.16 8.17 8.18 8.19 8.20 8.21 8.22 8.23 8.24 8.25 8.26 8.27 8.28 8.29 8.30 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Many Partings"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"