|Arvegil from Middle-earth Role Playing|
|Titles||King of Arthedain|
|Birth||T.A. 1553 |
|Rule||T.A. 1670 - 1743|
|Death||T.A. 1743 (aged 190)|
|House||House of Isildur|
|Gallery||Images of Arvegil|
During his father's reign, Arvegil saw events that would shape the history of Middle-earth, including the foundation of the Shire. He was eighty-three years old (no great age for one of the Dúnedain) when the Great Plague came out of the south and ravaged Eriador, but the seat of the Kings at Fornost in the north was little affected.
Arvegil lived for one hundred and ninety years, longer than any of his descendants until Aragorn. By the standards of his own ancestors, though, this was an early death. Of all the northern Kings before Arvegil - excepting those slain in battle - only two had lived less than two hundred years: his father Argeleb II and his grandfather Araphor.
Arvegil is a Sindarin name. Its meaning its not glossed, but the Association Tolkiendil suggests that Arvegil means "Royal Sword" and is a combination of ar(a)- ("royal", "noble", "high") and a lenited form vegil of megil ("sword").
1391 - 1589
1473 - 1670
1553 - 1743
1633 - 1813
1711 - 1891
Other versions of the legendarium
In post-1966 revisions of Appendix A, Aragorn's year of death is amended from Fo.A. 100 to Fo.A. 120, making him 210 years old (which age is explicitly confirmed in post-1993 printings). The reference to him being the longest-lived of his line since Arvegil is not changed, even though with this change in the chronology, Aragorn would be older than Arvegil.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", p. 194
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "IX. The Making of Appendix A": (i) "The Realms in Exile"
- Association Tolkiendil, "Compound Sindarin Names in Middle-earth", Tolkiendil (accessed 3 February 2022)
House of Isildur
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|19th Heir of Isildur|
T.A. 1670 - 1743
|11th King of Arthedain|
T.A. 1670 - 1743