|Argeleb from Middle-earth Role Playing|
|Titles||King of Arthedain|
|Birth||T.A. 1473 |
|Rule||T.A. 1589 - 1670|
|Death||T.A. 1670 (aged 197)|
|House||House of Isildur|
|Gallery||Images of Argeleb|
Argeleb II (T.A. 1473 - 1670, died aged 197) was the tenth king of Arthedain.
He succeeded his father, Araphor, upon his death in 1589, at the age of 116.
According to the records of Gondor, Argeleb was the High King in T.A. 1601 when many hobbits migrated from Bree; the King granted them permission to cross the Bridge of Stonebows and to settle the land beyond the Baranduin to dwell in. He demanded in return to acknowledge his lordship, keep all bridges and roads and speed the royal messengers. These hobbits were joined in The Shire by Stoors from Dunland around 1630. Prior to this, the area of the Shire had been unpopulated and regarded as the king's hunting ground.
In T.A. 1636 the Great Plague devastated Gondor (the King Telemnar, his children and the White Tree perished) and moved north to the lands of Argeleb's rule. Although the Great Plague decreased in severity as it moved north, there was still much suffering throughout Eriador. A remnant of the Dúnedain in Cardolan survived until the Great Plague of 1636; most of them perished, especially in Minhiriath. The last prince of Cardolan was buried in the Barrow-downs; in T.A. 1636 evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there. 
After having ruled for eighty-one years, he was succeeded by his son, Arvegil, upon his death in 1670.
It is possible that Argeleb II was named after his great-grandfarther, Argeleb I
1309 - 1409†
1391 - 1589
1473 - 1670
1553 - 1743
1633 - 1813
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", p. 194
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Hobbits"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, "Fog on the Barrow-downs", pp. 144-5; Index, 'Cardolan, last prince of'
House of Isildur
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|18th Heir of Isildur|
T.A. 1589 - T.A. 1670
|10th King of Arthedain|
T.A. 1589 - T.A. 1670